零基础快学英语会话
上QQ阅读APP看本书,新人免费读10天
设备和账号都新为新人

60. My first visa application was nearly turned down.

我第一次办签证的时候就差点遭拒签。

重点解析

动词词组turn sb down意为“拒不理会(好意/建议等或提议的人)”;而turn sth down表示“调节(炉具/收音机等)使热度/音量等降低”,与turn up意义相反。

情景对话

Lisa: My first visa application was nearly turned down.

Steven: You don't say!

丽萨:我第一次办签证的时候就差点惨遭拒签。

史蒂文:真的吗?

相似表达

What was the reason you were denied/declined?

你被拒签的理由是什么?

My visa had expired.

我的签证已经过期。

Visa delays have affected some foreign science students over the past years.

在过去的几年里,签证延误影响了一些科学专业的外国学生。

61. l can't believe how much red tape there is in getting a visa.

我简直无法相信拿到一个签证需要这么多手续。

重点解析

red tape意为“繁文缛节,(尤指)官僚作风”,含有贬义,可以用作get through the red tape,表示“办理繁琐的手续”。

情景对话

Steven: I can't believe how much red tape there is in getting a visa.

Lisa: Anyway, we can do nothing about that.

史蒂文:我简直无法相信拿到一个签证需要这么多手续。

丽萨:不论怎么说,我们对此无能为力。

相似表达

It is not so easy to get a British student visa.

拿到英国留学签证不容易。

Eventually I got a visa for U.K.

最后,我终于拿到了英国签证。

I heard most of the study visas could be approved.

听说大部分留学签证都会被批准。

62. Are you settling in all right?

你都安顿好了吗?

重点解析

settle作不及物动词时,在句中意为“定居,安家落户”,通常用作settle (in...);被动语态出现于正式文体中时表示“在(某国等)殖民”。而settle (on/over sth)则表示“在某处停歇/停留一时”。

情景对话

Steven: Are you settling in all right?

Mandy: Yes. How about you?

史蒂文:你都安顿好了吗?

曼迪:是的。你呢?

相似表达

Please contact us after settling down in America.

在美国安顿好之后,请联系我们。

I'm afraid it's not easy to settle in the country.

恐怕在这个国家定居并不容易。

The dust might have settled on everything in the dorm.

宿舍里一定是布满灰尘。

63. l think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

我想只要我们习惯就好了。

重点解析

a matter of sth (to sb)意为“引起某种情感的情况/问题/结果”,后接名词或动名词;in the matter of sth在过去通常用于正式文体中,表示“关于某事物”; it's all/only a matter of time (before...)表示“尽管不见得马上发生,但是一定会发生;只是迟早的事”。

情景对话

Steven: I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Mandy: I can't agree more.

史蒂文:我想只要我们习惯就好了。

曼迪:我完全同意你的观点。

相似表达

We had better try to get used to it.

我们最好努力适应。

It's all a matter of time before we get used to it.

我们迟早会适应。

It may be a matter of days to get accustomed to it.

可能要过些日子才能适应。

64. How many new students have been admitted to the department this year?

今年该系录取了多少新生?

重点解析

动词词组admit sb/sth (into/to sth)意为“接受某人(入院或入学等)”,也可以表示“许可某人/某物进入”;而admit to sth/doing sth则表示“承认,供认,招认(常为不情愿地);坦白”。

情景对话

Steven: How many new students have been admitted to the department this year?

Mandy: I'm not sure about that.

史蒂文:今年该系有多少新生?

曼迪:我并不确定。

相似表达

How many new students are there in the department this year?

今年该系有多少新生?

She failed to be admitted into the college.

她并没有被这个学院录取。

The college admits more new students this year.

这个学院今年录取了更多的新生。

65. Do you have problems with our accents?

你习惯我们的口音吗?

重点解析

动词词组have problems with...意为“遇到……麻烦,有……问题”,也可以用作get/have a problem with...; deal with/cope with the problem (of...)表示“解决问题”, No problem.则表示“没有问题”。

情景对话

Steven: Do you have problems with our accents?

Mandy: Not too bad.

史蒂文:你习惯我们的口音吗?

曼迪:还好。

相似表达

I am quite surprised that so many different accents are in the small country.

我很惊讶这么小的地方竟有这么多种口音。

I wonder if you have any trouble with our accents.

我想知道,我们的口音是否让你感到困扰。

You may run into trouble because of our accents.

你可能会因为我们的口音而陷入困境。

66. Some foreign students normally cannot take a job that has no connection with their school.

一些留学生通常不能接受与他们就读的学校没有关联的工作。

重点解析

动词词组have no/a connection with...意为“与……无关/有关”,也可以用作there is no/a connection between...and...; in connection with sb/sth表示“与某人/某事物有关”,相当于with reference to...; in this/that connection用于正式文体,表示“关于这/那一点”。

情景对话

Steven: Some foreign students normally cannot take a job that has no connection with their school.

Mandy: I'll say.

史蒂文:一些留学生通常不能接受与他们就读的学校没有关联的工作。

曼迪:这是当然。

相似表达

Foreign students usually look forward to a job relevant to their school.

留学生通常期望得到与所就读的学校相关的工作。

International students in the United States generally cannot receive (have no access to) federal student loans.

在美国的国际留学生通常不能得到联邦学生贷款。

This school has a number of financial aid programs for international students.

这所学校对于国际留学生有许多经济资助计划。

67. She is in a fair way to encounter many students from other countries.

她有可能认识许多来自其他国家的学生。

重点解析

in a fair way to do sth为固定词组,意为“可能做某事”,相当于be likely to do sth, as likely as not=most/very likely; in a fair way of business则表示“有相当大的/成功的生意”。

情景对话

Steven: She is in a fair way to encounter many students from other countries. Mandy: Say no more.

史蒂文:她有可能认识许多来自其他国家的学生。

曼迪:这是当然。

相似表达

She is likely to get acquainted with many students from other countries.

她很有可能认识很多来自其他国家的学生。

As likely as not she will become acquainted with many students from other countries.

她很有可能认识很多来自其他国家的学生。

Most likely she will make the acquaintance of students from other countries.

她很有可能认识来自其他国家的学生。