Chapter 4 Honesty is the Best Policy 诚实是上策
For Your Information
背景介绍
Having a reputation for honesty is important in doing business and following the advice above will go a long way, but that's not everything.
中译 做生意时,“信誉”是很重要的。遵循前面提到的忠告,可以带来很大的帮助,但还是不够。
I was offered bribes, but never took them. Without making an issue out of it, I thanked them for the offer, declined and rarely called them again.I feel if a man needs bribes to sell his product, it can't be very good, and I don't want to defend a poor product purchased at my recommendation.After a few months, the offers stopped.Also, because I was honest, I got things from clients and suppliers the other executives couldn't, or found difficult.Having a reputation for honesty helps.
中译 我不接受任何贿赂:我不会大惊小怪,只是简单地答谢、予以拒绝,并减少电话往来。我觉得如果要靠贿赂,才能把产品卖出去,那么这个产品就有问题。我不希望推荐某个产品,然后再为不好的产品辩解。几个月后,这种送红包的行为就停止了。再者,因为我很诚实,我可以得到客户与供应商的独家消息,而其他主管就很难做到了。信誉良好对生意上的帮助是很大的。
Dialog
MP3-13
The following is an example of just how easy it can be. It could be face to face or over the phone.Jack is selling speakers made in China,and Donna works for an American distributor.
下面这个对话告诉你,不论是电话或面对面谈判,都可以很简单。对话中,杰克在销售中国制的喇叭,堂娜则为美国批发商工作。
Jack:Donna!How are you?It's good to hear your voice.
堂娜,你好吗?很高兴听到你的声音。
Donna:Thank you, Jack, it's always a pleasure doing business with you.
谢谢你,杰克,和你做生意向来都是很愉快的事。
Jack:So how are things in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
你那充满自由与勇气的美国,最近还好吧?
Donna:Great!And, how are things in your neck of the woods?
好极了!那你的地盘呢?
Jack:Things are so great here. I almost smiled myself to death last week.One of my coworkers had to give me CPR.
好到不能再好了。上周我差点高兴得笑死,其中一个同事还帮我做心肺复苏术。
Donna:Oh, Jack, I have missed your sense of humor. Ha, ha, ha!Nobody else sees things quite like you do.It's your gift.
喔,杰克,我真想念你的幽默感。哈哈,没有人像你这样看待事物,这是你的天分。
Jack:Or a curse.
是诅咒吧。
Donna:Nope, it's a gift. Anyway, we need some more of those mid-range speakers you tricked me into buying last time.
不,这是天分。言归正传,我需要中程喇叭,你上次骗我买的那种。
Jack:That, my dear, was classic sales technique delivered by a professional.
亲爱的,那是专业人士的经典销售技巧。
Donna:Are you still gouging your customers the same price per unit?
你还是用这个价格去骗客户吗?
Jack:Heck no, we doubled the price, but because it's you, I'll let you have them at 50%off. Heh, heh, heh!How does that sound?
当然不是,我们涨了一倍,但看在你的份上,我会给你五折。嘿!嘿!你觉得怎样?
Donna:You silver-tongued devil. Can't you ever just answer a question with a simple yes or no?
你这耍嘴皮子的恶魔,你回答问题时,难道不能简单地回答“好”或“不好”吗?
Jack:I could, but where's the fun in that?
可以啊,但这就不好玩了吧?
Vocabulary 重要词汇
MP3-14
bribe 贿赂;买通
purchase 采购
recommendation 推荐;建议
executive 执行主管
distributor 批发商
mid-range 中程
gouge 诈欺;勒索
silver-tongued 很会说话的